Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Life’s little mysteries

I have been asked and have asked people the question of “Do you trust your friends”, and the general answer I always get is “I trust my friends from high school”. I have given the same answer too; even though we might have drifted apart, we do not have the same social circle, our interests are not similar, or that our lives are so consumed with our work circle or our significant other that we rarely see or communicate with our friends from high school-- apparently, at the end of the day, they are the people we trust the most.

I asked people and myself why this phenomenon occurred, and the most common answer again would be that because we grew up together. I never realized that adolescent years obviously shape and imprint on others who we are in life…no matter who we turn out to be, who we have become in our adult lives-- when our friends from high school stand in front of us, all we see is the teenage version; the person we had lunches with in the cafeteria or hallways, the person we went and chill at the mall with and caught a movie with, or the person we giggled over for hours on the phone with or chatted non-stop all night on ICQ/MSN.

Isn’t it strange? It’s not that we do not trust people we meet along the way as we continue on with life, but somehow, we feel that we can trust our high school friends just because we grew up with them. Innately, we feel that no matter who those people from high school turn out to be, we can still trust them because we feel safe, they won’t harm us or hurt us because we grew up together. The conclusion I draw from this little mystery is that our past shape and influence who we turn out in the eyes of the people we grew up together with.

No comments: