Saturday, September 22, 2007

Perfection

I still remember the first day I got pretzel, it was actually my birthday a bit over a year ago. All excited, my friend drove me to the Vancouver International Airport to pick him up. Caroline and I just couldn’t resist and we opened Pretzel’s kennel and let him out, and in front of me stood a shivering little puppy, hunched over, so frightened he couldn’t stop shaking. I fell in love with that stinky little cuddle of joy, and on the drive home, when Pretzel went from shaking all over to slowly calming down and eventually snuggling up to sleep in my laps, I know I would love that little dog.

When he first got to his new home and I took him out for his new walks around the neighborhood, everyone walking by will gushed at how cute and small he was, and how adorable he looked in his little harness. I saw how Pretzel was scared of the curb to finally being able to do a little jump at 4 months to finally walking down the steps at the Metrotown library when he was 6 months marked so many little achievements and symbolizes his growing up.

No matter how adorable and cute he is, I am always bugged by his tearstains and would try and try to get rid of them; from washing his face aggressively to putting in tearstain drops, and until recently, having the vet pulled down his eye veins in hopes the tear ducts would not clog. However, nothing worked, he is still tearstained, though I am glad to say it is a lot lighter on its own accord than when he was a puppy; but what has changed is I started accepting his tearstains, and the stains make him what he is, I suppose. I learned that the “perfection” I am aiming for is without any imperfections, flaws, or blemishes, when in fact he is already perfect in every way. It was so silly to expect perfection in a canine when humans are but with imperfections. Everyone has some sort of flaw, scar, or a past, but it is actually that particular imperfection that make us perfect, unique, and who we are.

No comments: