Monday, May 28, 2007

How life should be lived

"Pliny the Elder once said that the Romans, when they couldn't make a building beautiful, made it big. The practice continues to be popular: If we can't do it well, we make it larger. We add dollars to our income, rooms to our houses, activities to our schedules, appointments to our calendars. And the quality of life diminishes with each addition."

The other day, I was in a class with this guy who showed me a piece of writing he did, I would summarized it as his view of life, how it should be lived and how it should be balanced. He brought out the points of balancing work vs. other stuff such as family, leisure, and what not. He got me thinking about how I see life, how I want to live life.

In my opinion, I always believe it is so important not to submerge into work and forget everything else that are also important, such as hanging out with friends, spending time doing things I life , or just sitting around not doing anything. Those are important moments that shape my life and make me who I am . I feel that we are always stressed because we don't do little "time outs" and just sit there, not doing anything. We often feel that we are not doing enough, not spending enough time working and not making enough money, etc etc etc. For me, when I am lying around enjoying some silly reality TV or harassing my dog, those are great times!

Just last night, I was thinking, what makes me happy and it was quite odd, suddenly it hits me, I wanted to be surrounded by love. I am the happiest when people show me that they care and love me. When I am enveloped into these feelings, I feel the most blessed. Yes, our job is important, but it is also important to maintain relationships we have with people outside our work. We need to care about people that are a part of our lives, people who would continue to walk with us as we explore and learn because they are the ones that would support us and encourage us when we hit obstacles and barriers.

We live in a materialistic world, we all have our wants and needs, money is important, thus our jobs are important. As I conclude this post, I realized that I need to enjoy my job, I need to be inspired and continually challenged. Since I spend a great deal of time dedicated to work, I need to love it too! Then, the next thing is to balance and enjoy life! Life is so short. what we could pack into our experiences allow us to reflect as we move through various stages, and these silly little endeavours of life are priceless memories.

A promise made to myself: I would never become a workaholic and not make time for other things that are important, because what counts is the quality of life. This is such an odd post coming from me, lol, because I rarely work. So, I see this post as a reminder to myself when my opportunity hits.

No comments: